Monday, January 25, 2010

Things 12: Roll your own search tool with Rollyo

The idea behind Rollyo is intriguing and theoretically it could be fun a tool to use-
to create a searchroll tailored to your specific area of interest from sites you have chosen; but I found the site to be very slow and sometimes difficult to sign onto because there were too many users. I created a Searchroll to scan real estate for sale in areas where we are thinking we might like to retire- But the URLS can only be the top of the domain, meaning it isn't possible just to zoom in on real estate sections of newspapers- and I couldn't figure out how to eliminate the whole web from the targeted search for my searchroll, so the results had a lot of stuff I didn't want, and it was probably just as quick to go to the several sites on my roll individually. It doesn't negate the idea, but if wasn't doing specifically what I needed it to do, and it wasn't clear to me how to make it as specific as I wanted it. I might go back from time-to-time to look in on it, but it didn't impress me as something that will become part of my permanent portfolio.

The link to my dashboard is http://www.rollyo.com/index.html- my searchroll being VT and MI property

No comments:

Post a Comment