Sunday, March 14, 2010

Things #13 Tagging and discover del.icio.us

None of the links for the tutorials for Delicous work anymore unfortunately, so I went to delicious.com and took a long look at the web site- I learned that it is a social bookmarking site, which uses tagging like in Flickr and LibraryThing to categorize links among users- I looked at Fresh (what's new) and the list of Popular bookmarks, following a few of them to see what other people have bookmarked and looked at (there was a good one for making potato chips in the microwave) and how they have tagged their entries. I did a search for a tag of personal interest, Old Mission Peninsula, where I go in the summer- there were 13 entries- posted by real estate agents, bed and breakfast, a topo map for a state park on a sea kayaking webstie, a bicycle tour map and various wineries on the peninsula. the idea of having one site for saving all my bookmarks is an attractive one, and the social aspect of tagging being used to share links with others provides some very interesting searching, as well as the opportunity to interact about the various tags of interest. I m not, however, into social networking, so I decided that once I understood how the site functions that I will not join at this time. I am glad to know that it is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment